Monday, April 14, 2008

dreams of the rural life

First, let me say, I love our apartment. We have the best that Singapore has to offer, short of living in a 10,000 square foot black and white home with a huge yard, 6 staff members and our own cobra and python patrol... Dairy Farm estate, and where our house is, is amazing. We have a huge field that we can walk straight out onto. The kids can play soccer, throw balls, ride bikes all right outside our door. We have a swimming pool, that we use, and a gym-that I should use. The gubment is building a gateway into the Bukit Timah Nature park right across the road....but I still dream of a bucolic life... a smallholding if you will. A place with sheep, goats, horses and maybe a steer. I do put my foot down at pigs, but reluctantly may accept a chicken or two....

Living on a farm, even a small one, is not simplier. It means no vacations unless you find someone to care for the place. It means getting up early and feeding. It means midnight lambing checks. It means a commute into the day job. But, the lifestyle is something I miss. I want my children to be able to appreciate where food comes from. I want my children to get dirty and learn lessons of life and death in a gentle way. I want my kids to have the life that I had, a good a balanced life, not one of over commercialization and the need to put shopping down as a hobby.

Will it happen? Not in Singapore. Does that mean we are coming home soon? Probably not, but someday....

No comments:

 
Who links to me?