Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Girls who use power tools


I have been thinking a lot about girls, being the mother to a daughter who is a girly girl, but wants to have boy toys too. I loved being a tom-boy, growing up racing bikes down the street with my neighbors (all boys). Building forts, climbing trees and going to bed at night in a pink room. Later growing up on a small farm, seeing animals being born, and crying when they died. Being active in 4-H and FFA. Learning to weld, both Arc and oxy-acetylene in shop class, how to do tool and today not being able to change my own oil (but then I don't have a car anymore so I am ok with that!). Being able to ride a horse, buck a bale of hay and get dirt under my fingernails. Building a dog house (even if it did list a bit to the left) and being able to tell what a phillips screwdriver is.

I wish I could have and did have a better understanding of math and science. I wish I was able to fix things with better results, rather than a bit hap-hazard. But I love the fact that my Dad never limited us because of our gender. Girls can do everything boys can do, no doubt about it.

Anyway, I saw this post at Vintage Chica about her dad. Thought it was worth remembering.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?