Saturday, March 06, 2010

The 4-Hour Workweek, Revised and Expanded: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich The 4-Hour Workweek, Revised and Expanded: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Hard to really put into words the effect this book has had on me. The writing itself is not great, parts are clunky. The tips and techniques he includes are not novel or unique. What Ferriss calls "Lifestyle Design" is really downshifting on steroids. Passive Income meets Hipster. But...wow.

How I really realize how much I hate working 70 hour weeks. How much I want to be able to travel with my family. How I realize how much time I waste avoiding the work I don't want to get done. How very cool it would be to re-learn German, increase my Chinese, learn Bahasa. Will this book win awards for writing? No. Can it change your life? Maybe.

The time managment portions of the book are great. Some of the techniques are terrific (nothing new, but a good collection put together). As for the passive income stuff, well I can't tell you if these are workable or not.

Do I believe that Tim Ferriss works 4 hours a week. No. It is part of the sell.

But do I believe that while he is a bit of an egomanic (just watch his videos), the idea that we can work smarter not harder is true. The idea that we don't have to wait until the magic age of 65 to live our dreams. Also true. Don't buy the book and expect that all your work will instantly be decreased by 90% while you travel the world.

Can you and will you be able to incorporate some of the ideas and get inspired? Well, that is why I said maybe. It is really up to you.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

 
Who links to me?